Beginning Bloggers Have Asked…
I am quite surprised at how many people start up a blog every day! Much to my amazement, I have been getting a lot of emails lately about how to do SEO, or search engine optimization on a blog by many of new bloggers. I know this subject may seem a little intermediate to some of my readers, however, feel free to add anything in the comment section at the end of the post.
What Is SEO?
SEO is an acronym for search engine optimization. It is a process that is done on a website to get noticed by search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo. The basic idea behind this is when someone goes to Google and types in a certain word like “blogging” in the search bar, the sites that have the best seo are usually ranked from the top down.
This is basically the simple answer to this question. However, there are a lot of other aspects to get the result of a first page ranking on a search engine. It basically comes in two categories:
- On-Site SEO- This is basically where you cover your own site and get it ready for optimization with keywords. Usually well-placed optimization can lead to a first page ranking soon.
- Off-Site SEO- This is where you get optimization from other sites in the form of backlinks.
If you are a new blogger, then before you start anything, you need to get your SEO on your site perfect. This way, when you start blogging you don’t have to worry about it later. As I have mentioned before, you must have some keywords picked out. Some keywords that you want to get noticed for and try to rank to the #1 position on the search engines. This will give you something to shoot for.
Once you have picked that keyword, you need to distribute this around your sites template. In the meta tags and so forth. One of the easiest ways to do this is with a plugin called SEO Presser. Without any work at all, you can generate a great blog optimization in just a few minutes with this plugin, and it’s totally worth the $7 that you pay to try it out!
On-Site SEO in Blog Posts
I am not too much of a stickler when it comes to over-optimizing a blog post. I believe that your readers are the most important part of your blog and you shouldn’t have your keywords stuffed all in the post. Even though it will help you to get noticed by the search engines, you shouldn’t over-optimize. There are still ways to post a blog with your keywords in it without over doing it! Refer to the SEO Presser pluginwhile you write for the best results.
On another note, ever since the Panda updates, content has become one of the most important part of optimization for a site. So on that note, one of the best seo tactics that you can do is write content that is useful, informative, and helpful to the reader. The Panda will be able to see all of those stuffed keywords, so you may as well not do it!
Now, I’m not the guru on the subject, but I believe that there is only one way to do off-site SEO. That is through the form of a backlink. There are many ways to get this so-called backlink, but the song still remains the same.
One of the easiest ways to get “search engine safe” backlinks is through Elite SEO Backlinks. If you are wanting to really get noticed, then this is a simple, cheap, and effective way to do it. I use this system and never have to worry about building backlinks.
However, there are many ways to get backlinks pointing to your site.
- Blog Commenting- Visiting other sites in your niche is a great way to get a backlink. It is also a great way to get referral traffic too, and perhaps even start a relationship with that blogger!
- Article Marketing- I believe this is one of the oldest methods, besides commenting, to get a backlink to your site. However, with the rise of the Penguin update, many of these article marketing sites are getting slapped pretty hard. One site that has withstood the Penguin update and is still around is LinkVana Article Marketing. By the way, you can get a free trial with this link from this company!
- Guest Blogging on High PR Sites- This is going to be a hard gig to get if you are a new blogger. Not many people will allow a newbie to post things on their site, however, the ComLuv Network allows guest posters on a frequent basis, and you would probably have more of a chance in getting a guest post on there as you would anywhere.
- Forum Posting- Not as effective, but it still gives you backlinks in bulk as I like to call them. Even though the Warrior Forum makes me mad sometimes, it is still a great backlink!
Backlinks in General
A backlink is your site’s URL on someone else’s site. The search engine bot sees your link on this(hopefully) high page ranked site and it tells it that your site is important. The more of these you have in your niche the higher your ranking. There are two kinds of backlinks:
- Dofollow- This is when your URL gets counted and gets “link juice” from the referring site. These help you rank up faster.
- Nofollow- Not too many people search out the nofollow backlinks. However, these are links that actually protect your site. See below…
Forget about searching for only dofollow links. Most of the people I come into contact with are always hunting for dofollow links for their site, when in all actuality, too many of these can hurt your site! When you are building backlinks, you want a mixture of the two in your link building process.
In my opinion, forget about dofollow and nofollow. Just take one day every week and get your backlinks. If you are going at a natural link building speed, then the search engines will rank you up faster.
This is why I use the Elite SEO Backlinks service. It is a steady and natural process that builds links every day to your site and you don’t have to worry about taking time out of your schedule to worry about link building!
Keep SEO simple. It’s not brain surgery or anything! Just be a great blogger, pay someone like Elite SEO Backlinks to build your links for you and you worry about content and your readers!